Sunday, March 18, 2012

03/18/2012



Oh hey Spring. 

**
The people who lived in my house before me had a cat. They no longer have the cat, as it still lives at the house, now with me. 

Not really with me. My downstairs neighbor feeds him and I'm leaving him here with her at the end of my lease. But he stays outside where he attacks neighbor cats (except one that I think he impregnated... it's been a weird couple of weeks) and hisses at Bonnie. He lived in my unit, so he likes to sit in my windows and sprawl on my deck and sit on top of my car. He is large and kind of mean. His name is Sushi. Bonnie is very scared of him.

Anyway, Sushi and I had a breakthrough. Today he walked right up to me as I was throwing out trash and began weaving in and out of my legs, then let me pet him. Up until today I could only get about two feet away from him and he'd arch his back and hiss at me. He's more rattlesnake than cat.

But look at us now! He only tried to bite me once in the entire petting process. Then our neighbor's cat, Cat Stevens, came walking into the yard and Sushi ran off to attack him. Poor old Cat Stevens. 


Cat bloggin' is the new dog bloggin'.

**
In other news, Drew and I registered at Target. We walked out with an espresso machine and a juicer. Then I went online and deleted half of the stuff we registered for. I think I'm going to take my mom and make her ask me pointed questions like, "Well what will I eat with if I'm ever invited over?" or "Well, I don't know, do you like owning garbage that will break after a day or two?"

Mom, beer me the strength.

**
Food is a miracle. Here are some miracles I've made this week:
  • Roasted beets + beet greens with bacon 
  • Roasted chickpeas with soy sauce and Asian five-spice blend 
  • Motha effin' anniversary surf and turf: lobster tails and steak and bearnaise sauce to boot 
  • Banana bread with sprouted/soaked flour (courtesy Nourishing Traditions)
  • Lemon roasted chicken + stock
  • The best brussel sprouts I've ever had (courtesy Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything)
  • Fizzy orange juice (adapted from here)
All of that with only one kitchen fire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment